Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes


If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you'll know that I'm a big fan of breakfast. I love to make something special and not just on the weekends. Any 'ol day of the week I'm game.

I have a favorite buttermilk pancake recipe that I love and have used forever. I also have it memorized, so making them are a cinch. I have also fell in love with these oatmeal cookie pancakes (don't be deceived by the name, they're pretty healthy although they taste as good as a cookie), and I use it whenever I need to use up some sour cream or very ripe bananas.

And, these pancakes just might make it into my pancake rotation. First of all, the recipe is almost exactly like my favorite pancake recipe, only with the lemon and poppy seeds. Secondly, they have great flavor!

I served these up with macerated strawberries; you could really use any berry here or a combination of berries. Just cut them, sprinkle with some sugar and leave them out at room temperature while you whip up the pancake batter. I also made this buttermilk syrup to go with the pancakes, and it complimented them perfectly!

Lemon-Poppy Seed Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup oil

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a large bowl. In another bowl mix together the lemon zest, lemon juice, buttermilk, sugar, poppy seeds, eggs and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir all the ingredients until they are just combined. Don't worry if the batter is a bit lumpy, you don't want to over mix.

Let the batter sit while the griddle heats up. Once hot, use 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour batter. Cook pancakes until golden brown on each side.

SOURCE: Adapted from my Buttermilk Pancakes

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! I LOVE lemon poppy seed stuff. We will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breakfast too! I just made a very similar recipe tonight (with no poppy seeds and berries added in) and it was so yummy! The link to that one is http://www.sweetphatsisters.com
    It is mine and my sisters food blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...