Friday, April 9, 2010

Thai Coconut Rice


Wow, we've been busy. I'm finally just getting time to post this tonight after making it earlier this week. I made this rice to go with the Honey Curry Chicken. I love coconut and this was really good. I loved the coconut in the rice as it cooked as well as the toasted coconut garnish that gave it another dimension of texture. I used regular coconut milk and the rice was very creamy. I liked it, but next time I may try lite coconut milk to see the difference. This is a great side dish for any curry-type or spicy dish. You could also add in fresh pineapple or mango, especially if you're doing an island theme dinner.

2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice
2 cups coconut milk
1 3/4 cups water
2 Tbsp. dry shredded unsweetened coconut (baking type)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oil

Garnish:
1-2 Tbsp. toasted coconut
Chopped fresh cilantro

Rub oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. Place rice, coconut milk, water, shredded coconut, and salt and set over medium-high to high heat. (You can also add about 2 tsp. sweetener, such as sugar, at this point if you wish.) Stir until liquid comes to a gentle boil; stop stirring and reduce heat to low (just above minimum). Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer about 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.

When the liquid is gone, turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Toast coconut by placing dry shredded coconut in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir ("dry fry") until light golden brown.

When ready to serve the rice, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Garnish with toasted coconut and cilantro.

SOURCE:Adapted from About.com.

*Still have leftover ham? Try this Penne Pasta with Smoked Ham and Pepper Cream Sauce, it's one of our faves!

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight to go along with your Honey Chicken Curry and they were both amazing!! Thanks for the yummy recipe! FYI: I posted it on my food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make this recipe since the day you posted it and now that we can have coconut back I'm so excited to make it! Thanks for putting the coconut label on all the coconut items, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...