Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Butternut Squash Casserole


I had actually forgotten that I still have about a dozen butternut squash still left in my basement from my garden. This recipe reminded me that I need to use them up before they ROT! I lost most of my acorn squash already because we didn't eat it fast enough. Thankfully these lasted longer. I've made a few things with butternut squash that I wasn't thrilled about, and my girls would NOT touch. I like the stuff pretty much any way it comes but I have to be a little more creative when it comes to my kids. This recipe seemed like a winner with the caramelized onions and cheese. What kid doesn't like cheese? I liked the spinach in it, I think it was just the right amount to not be overwhelming. The version below is meatless, which we try to do once a week or so, but I would definitely try this with some crumbled bacon or some Italian sausage tossed in there.

About 3 pounds, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 6 cups)
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large yellow onions, trimmed, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg, beaten
1-2 tsp. thyme
2-4 slices day old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and toasted (You can stick them on a cookie sheet and put them under a broiler for a few minutes-watch closely though!)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup parmesan (or more cheddar)
2 handfuls of fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped(not too small)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter or spray a 4-quart casserole dish.

Place 3 quarts water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the squash to the water, return to a boil, and cook for 8-10 minutes. The squash will turn a deeper orange. Drain it and set aside.

In the mean time, melt the butter in a large chef's pan with high sides; add the oil. Add the onions and sauté over medium-low heat until they start to carmelize, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. They will brown a little, but that's part of the caramelization. Turn off heat and add spinach. Toss to coat (it will wilt as it warms up). Add the warm squash and the milk, egg, thyme, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Blend with a wooden spoon or spatula until the ingredients are well combined.

Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish. Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, or more cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes more; or until slightly golden on top. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

SOURCE:Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake

The hosts of the Grow Your Own blog carnival invited me to share this recipe in the February roundup. Oh what fun, come check it out!

This recipe is linked to Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prarie Story.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have some of that! We have a few recipes on our site using hard Winter squash that you could try.

    Since you're using homegrown squash, show off your dish in our "Grow Your Own" roundup this month. To participate, find the details here:

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/03/announcing-grow-your-own-40.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...