Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Raspberry Chipotle Sauce


Well, I certainly did not think I would be getting out my home canning equipment in the middle of winter. However, I had so many raspberries in my deep freezer from summer, I figured it was time to make room!

When I was searching for recipes to help me use up my raspberries I came across the combination of raspberries and chipotles and since I love both I thought they'd be great together. The sauce recipes I found were all pretty similar so I decided to stick with one from Emeril Lagasse. I mean, who can go wrong with Emeril? I didn't think I could go wrong. I found some amazing recipes to use with this sauce that I'll be making in the near future. For starters, you could use this over a pork loin or pork chops, meatballs, on a turkey sandwich with some provolone, slather it on a whole wheat quesadilla with cheese and thinly sliced granny smith apple or you could make like a southwest chicken cordon bleu with ham and pepper jack cheese rolled up inside and the raspberry sauce drizzled over the top. Yum!


1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup small diced onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
2 pints fresh raspberries, rinsed (I used frozen and they worked fine)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or raspberry vinegar)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (brown would work too)
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, 4 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 1 minute. Add the chipotles and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute. Add the raspberries and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened and reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool before using.

Yield: about 1-1/2 cups

*Home canning instructions
To make it worth my effort to can the sauce, I tripled the recipe and got about 4 pints. I used some pints and some half pints. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars and process in hot water canner 10 minutes. For detailed instructions on how to home can, see the Ball website.

Source: Adapted from Emeril's Kitchens: Favorite Recipes from Emeril's Restaurants, by Emeril Lagasse (William Morrow)

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...