Monday, March 8, 2010

Four Cheese Ravioli


Several years ago my husband and I went to this nice Italian restaurant and I ordered porcini ravioli with a gorgonzola cream sauce. It was to die for, I don't think I had ever had anything so delicious. Not too much later, I tried to recreate that same dish at home...and failed miserably! I had never made homemade pasta, other than noodles for chicken soup, and didn't know much about it. I rolled the dough too thick so when it cooked up it was just this big thick piece of pasta and so unappetizing. Since then I have steered clear of homemade pastas.

When I found this recipe, It sounded and looked so delicious and I just knew I had to try it. The only thing was it called for homemade pasta-uh, no thanks (not yet anyway). Then a light went on in my brain and I remembered reading somewhere that won ton wrappers could be used to make ravioli as well. Ha! That's all I needed and I was off to the store.

These are incredibly easy to make and the filling is just out of this world! It practically melts in your mouth. My husband is lactose-intolerant so I try not to make too many things with dairy. When he tried these though, he said I could make them again. So, if he's willing to wage a stomach war to eat these ravioli, I think they are a keeper.

1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded fontina
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 package square won ton wrappers
Marinara sauce, for serving


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, fontina, parmesan, garlic, and spices. Mix well to blend. Place about 2 teaspoons of filling in the middle of each won ton wrapper, leaving a clear edge around the perimeter. Dip a finger in water and lightly brush around the edges. Fold opposite edges together, making sure to press out any excess air and sealing the edges compeltely. Repeat with the remaining wrappers. Let dry on a lightly floured surface for about 1-2 hours. (If they are not sufficiently dry, they will open up when you boil them.)

Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook the ravioli about 3 minutes. Serve in warmed bowls with marinara sauce. Sprinkle extra parmesan cheese on top for garnish.

Uncooked ravioli may be stored in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for 3 months. There is no need to thaw the ravioli before boiling, just cook it about 6-8 minutes.

SOURCE:Good Things Catered

2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds awesome! Maybe I can find green rivoli for next week's tin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, that would be fun! If you're into making your own pasta dough, you could add spinach to it so it would be green. I did that once when I made my "Grandma Noodles" recipe. I think we're planning on doing quesadillas with spinach tortillas to MTM next week. Can't wait to see what everyone does.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...