Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tomato-Basil and Spinach Risotto


My oh my what a week we have had here!  I started the week of getting sick then the following days were met with each of my children getting sick as well my husband!  Needless to say, I  don't think I have been out of my pajamas more than one day this week.

Anyway, I did manage to get away for a quick trip to my favorite grocery store earlier in the week.  They sell the most beautiful fresh basil there and I just can't leave the store without some everytime I go! 

It turns out the fresh basil was the perfect thing to compliment this delicious risotto.  I loved having something quick and easy to throw together, dressing it up with fresh tomatoes, spinach and basil, making the flavor pop! 

Tomato-Basil and Spinach Risotto
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup onion, finely minced
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup white cooking wine
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded & chopped
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
handful torn basil
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Bring chicken broth and water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce heat to low to keep warm during cooking.

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, then add onion and saute until translucent; about 4-5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for about 30 more seconds.

Add rice and stir to coat in the butter.  Let saute a minute or two until rice starts turning opaque, then add cooking wine and stir.  Continue to stir as the rice absorbs the wine. When most of it is absorbed, add in about 1/2 cup of the warm broth.

Continue adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and waiting for it to be absorbed before adding more. When there is not much broth left, taste the risotto to see if it needs to continue cooking longer. It should take about 20-25 minutes to finish and you may or may not need all the stock. Don't worry about using it all if the risotto is done.
When risotto is finished cooking, remove from heat and add the cheese and spinach.  Stir to allow cheese to melt and spinch to wilt slightly.  Add the tomatoes and basil, gently stirring in.  Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary.

Serve warm and garnish with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.


SOURCE: Iowa Girl Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...