Saturday, March 9, 2013

Chicken Meatball Subs



This is one of the oldest recipes on the blog and I figured it was time for a facelift! Almost every time I ask my husband for help with the menu, he suggests making these meatball subs. Now I don't give in all the time, but this last time he suggested them they sounded irresistable!! I couldn't wait to make them again.

I have changed the way I prepare and serve the subs. Where I used to buy the big sub rolls and make huge meatballs, I now make my own smaller rolls, from this recipe, and much smaller meatballs. A smaller sub is still very filling but also leaves room on my plate for a nice big salad.



Chicken Meatball Subs
For the meatballs:
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
1 Tbsp. grill seasoning blend (like Montreal)
1 large egg
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

For the sauce:
2 large cloves garlic, cracked from skin and split
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
8 to 10 leaves fresh basil, shredded, plus more for garnish
4-6 sub rolls
sliced provolone cheese


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place chicken in a bowl and season with grill seasoning. Add egg, parmesan, bread crumbs, and basil. Mix by using your hands and squishing it through your fingers until everything is incoroporated.

To make meatballs scoop out mixture with a muffin scoop and place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat. Flatten slightly (so they don't roll off your bun!) You could also use a cookie size scoop if you want smaller meatballs (say kid-size).

Bake meatballs about 15 minutes, until golden and firm.

While the meatballs bake, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a good drizzle of olive oil and garlic and cook 5 minutes then remove the cloves. Add crushed red pepper flakes then tomatoes and stir in the chicken stock. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and simmer 10 minutes, adjust seasonings and stir in the basil.

Once meatballs are finished cooking, simmer them in the sauce a couple of minutes.

Cut sub rolls and lightly toast under broiler. Fill the toasted sub rolls with meatballs and sauce. Top each with a slice of provolone and return to broiler to melt the cheese until golden.  Garnish with extra basil, if desired and serve warm, with remaining sauce, for dipping.


My Notes:
-I don't usually buy ground chicken, but make my own. Simply cut your chicken breasts in thirds or fourths and put them in a food processor fitted with a chopper blade and chop until "ground."
-I use my homemade burger bun recipe to make to make the sub rolls. I use about 3 ounce balls of dough and shape them long like a hot dog bun.


SOURCE: Rachael Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...