Saturday, March 30, 2013

Asparagus and Smoked Cheddar Quiche


I have a thing about smoked cheese. I absolutely love it! However, it wasn't until recently that I discovered that some smoked cheeses are "processed cheese product." They can't  even label it cheese, they have to say cheese product.  Well that was a big turn off and a big no no in my book as we have spent the last few years trying to eliminate processed foods from our diet.

Luckily I live close enough to a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods Market, both of which have great cheese sections.  On a recent trip to WF, I scored some smoked white cheddar that I could not wait to try!!  Cheddar is probably my most favorite smoked cheese. I don't remember how I decided what I would use it for, I think it was because asparagus was on sale that week (see mom I don't spend every penny on expensive food!!).

Anyway cheese, asparagus, eggs, it just made sense.  This quiche was delicious. I think the only thing that could have made it any better would have been if I tossed in some leftover Easter ham.

So since Easter is this weekend and you may have a day or two off, make this for Sunday brunch. And invite someone special over to share it with. Have a sacred day!

Asparagus and Smoked Cheddar Tart
1 cup flour
6 Tbsp. butter, cubed
1/2 cup smoked cheddar, finely grated
5 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup smoked cheddar, grated
about half a bunch tender green asparagus stalks, washed and trimmed
pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper
 
Put flour and cubed butter into a food processor with a chopper blade and and blend until it resembles a coarse meal. Add the grated cheddar pulse the food processor just a couple of times to incorporate. Add 3 tablespoons cold water and mix until it forma a dough ball. Do not over-process. Alternatively you can make the pastry by putting the flour in in a mixing bowl and cutting the butter in with two knives.  Add the cheddar, kneading to incorporate then add the water and knead until the pastry comes together to form a ball. Knead just until it comes together, do not over work the dough.
 
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, butter a tart pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 
Lightly dust the work surface with flour, roll out the pastry and press it in the tart pan. Using the tines of a fork, poke holes all over the tart shell.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.
 
In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper.  Sprinkle half of remaining cheese on the bottom of the tart shell.  Layer asparagus then pour egg mixture into the shell.  Top with other half of remaining cheese.
 
bake 30-35 minutes, or until eggs have set.
 
 
 
SOURCE: What's For Lunch Honey?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...