Sunday, August 1, 2010

Asian Slaw with Roasted Peanuts


I've always enjoyed eating salads but hardly ever took the time to make them at home. However, since embarking on a whole and raw foods quest, I find myself making them quite often and eating them as a main dish, rather than the side dish.

This salad is absolutely delicious. I didn't think I was a slaw person, I never really liked coleslaw, but I've had raw cabbage and brussel sprouts lately and have really enjoyed them. When I saw this salad on Ezra Pound Cake, I was immediately drawn because of the vibrant colors of the purple and green. I just knew it had to be delicious even before tasting it. This salad did not disappoint! Both my husband and I really liked it and will most-likely be having it again in the near future.

Update 4/26/12:Ever since stumbling upon this recipe, it has been my most favorite salad ever and my go-to in a pinch or to take to a family dinner. Even if you don't think you like cabbage you might just be surprised, so try it! I have also started using a different dressing than the original one I posted. Although the original is good, this Ginger Lime Dressing is absolutely amazing and pairs perfectly with this salad. It's sure to be your new favorite too.

For the salad:
1/4 green cabbage, shredded
1/4 red cabbage, shredded
2 large handfuls baby spinach, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bell pepper, julienned
1 cup frozen peas (thawed, not cooked)
1 carrot, shredded
2-3 green onions, sliced
Fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped

For the dressing:
1/4 cup vegetable or peanut oil
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce

In a large salad bowl, toss together cabbage, spinach, cilantro, pepper, peas, carrots and onions. In a smaller bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Add roasted peanuts and black pepper. Serve immediately. (If you plan on having this for more than one meal, you may want to have the dressing on the side so that it doesn't wilt the salad.

SOURCE:Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake

This recipe linked to Potluck Sunday at Mommy's Kitchen.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! So colorful and pretty! I love salads with a crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally shy away from something like this but it looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, the peanuts are the perfect crunch with the cabbage; a great combo.

    Jennifurla, like I said, I'm not usually a slaw kind of girl, but this really was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delish! can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This salad looks amazing!! I think I'll make it next week, and maybe add some noodles as well :). ~Alison

    PS - You may be interested in the recipe swap at my blog --> http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...