Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Perfect Skillet Cornbread


  
Cornbread is one of those things that pretty much just can't be eaten without a big pot of ham beans.   I admit, Marie Callendar's used to be my go-to way to make cornbread, but I'm always looking for a better way.

Well, I don't need to look any further.  I think I'm gonna stick with this cornbread.  I'm sure it's not die hard southern cornbread because it's not all cornmeal and it's a little sweetened, but that's ok by me because I'm not a diehard southerner either (although I love 'em)!

This recipe is good for about a 9-12 inch cast iron skillet.  Ideally, I think 9-10 would be best, but I only had a 12-inch so that's what I used.  You could also use a round cake pan if you don't have a skillet at all.


Perfect Skilet Cornbread
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat four
1 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp.  baking powder
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt

Place cast iron skillet in oven and preheat together to 425 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes. 

In mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and sugar.  In a separate bowl whisk flours, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.  Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir to just combine.

Remove preheated skillet  from oven (remember to use oven mitt, it's hot!!) and pour in batter.  Put skillet back in oven and bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until slightly golden on top; for a 9-10 inch skillet.  For a larger skillet, start checking for doneness between 15-18 minutes.

Cool, slice as desired and serve warm slathered with butter and honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...