Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins


Oh, we've been on a muffin kick lately!  My girls are loving it and keep asking me to make more.  For years I've stuck to about two or three muffins that I always go to because other recipes just didn't turn out like I had hoped.  I think I've finally got it down now.  Yay!

Making blueberry muffins with cornmeal came to mind a few weeks ago after I had suggested to a friend to make blueberry cornmeal pancakes.  It seemed to be a winning combination because both the pancakes and muffins were devoured!

These are delicious warm right out of the oven.  They are light yet still have that slight crunch from the cornmeal.  I have also used half whole wheat and half white flour to up the nutrition a bit.

Blueberries, cornmeal, lemon...you will love them as much as we did!


Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal (I used yellow)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups blueberries (either fresh or frozen, unthawed will work)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, buttermilk, zest and juice of a lemon and sugar.  Stir in flours and cornmeal, baking powder and salt until just combined.  Gently fold in blueberries.

Fill muffin tins with liners.  Using a large scoop, divide batter between about 12-15 muffin wells.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden on top.

2 comments:

  1. Lemon and blueberry are such a good combo. I've never tried it in a corn muffin but I know I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...