Saturday, April 13, 2013

Banana Scones with Brown Butter Glaze


Good heavens, I cannot get over how delicious these scones are!  Hello, brown butter and bananas, they were just made to go together.  My oldest daughter even commented the glaze tasted like caramel...so yummy.

Like I said, I can't get enough of scones right now.  I made these the week before Easter when we woke up on a Saturday to MORE SNOW.  We needed a happy place and this was definitely it.  I actually made a double batch, which is not even double the work so quite the time saver, and froze half, so we got to eat these babies two weeks in a row!

My first batch I baked, I made them into wedges but I felt like they were a little large for a single serving.  This recipe makes a little more than my basic scone recipe.  So, the second batch I pressed the dough into a rectangle and cut them into squares.  Much more manageable.

If you have any extra time laying around this weekend, give these a try, you will fall in love as we did!


Banana Scones with Brown Butter Glaze
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups  whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
Dash of grated nutmeg
10 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1½ cups mashed ripe banana (about 3-4 large bananas)
1 cup heavy cream (whole milk or buttermilk may be substituted)

For the glaze:
8 tbsp. (4 oz.) butter
1½-2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp. milk, plus more as needed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...