Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Stacked Chicken Enchiladas with Roatsted Tomatillo Salsa


The first time I made these, it was kind of a last minute deal, I just threw them together really and they turned out much better than I imagined.  I think I had originally planned on grilled chicken or something that night but forgot to defrost the chicken in time so had to do it in the microwave.  Well, I must have forgotten to decrease the power because before I knew it the chicken was poaching in it's own juices!!  Argh!

So, some quick thinking led me to my very last jar of bottled tomatillo salsa, some tortillas in the freezer and a few other fixings I found in the fridge.  I thought it would be edible at best but to my surprise my husband and I really enjoyed it and stacking the enchiladas this way made them fun to eat. 

This time around I was actually prepared for this meal and had a few extras I didn't have last time.  You're sure to love it!



Stacked Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
serves about 8 (1 serving: half a stack)
 
for the salsa:
1 lb tomatillos, husked, rinsed and halved or quartered
3-4 garlic cloves, skins on
small onion, quartered
1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
1-2 anaheim peppers, halved and seeded
olive oil
salt and pepper
half a bunch of cilantro
juice of a lime

for the chicken:
2 chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth

for the filling:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (or about 2 cups cooked beans)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded

remaining ingredients and garnishes:
12 corn tortillas
chopped cilantro
avocado, diced or sliced
caramelized onion
monterey jack cheese


Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and.  Put tomatillos, garlic, onion and peppers on the sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tomatillos begin to char.  Remove from oven and cool slightly.  Slip garlic from the skins and add it, along with the rest of the roasted veggies, to a blender or food processor.  Add cilantro and lime juice.  Blend until desired consistency.  Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.  Set aside.

While veggies are cooking, cook chicken. In a Dutch oven or a pot with a lid, add chicken and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook about 30 minutes.  Remove and cool slightly then shred with a fork. Return chicken to broth and add about 1/2 cup of the tomatillo salsa.  Add beans and corn and let simmer on low for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.  Remove from heat, add 1 cup cheese and stir to combine.

*If you want caramelized onion, start it while the chicken and veggies cook.  Slice 1 large onion and place in a large saute pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil and cook over medium heat until onions are soft and brown; about 15-20 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. 

To assemble enchiladas, line a cookie sheet with a slipat or spray with cooking spray.  Lay out 4 tortillas layer with about 1/3 cup chicken mixture and another tablespoon or so of the tomatillo salsa.  Lay another tortilla, more chicken mixture and salsa.  Top with a final tortilla, a spoonful of salsa and a little extra cheese.  Place in oven and cook about 20 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbly and slightly browning.

Remove from oven and top with caramelized onion, cilantro and avocado.  Serve warm.


 

Michele's Notes:
-I actually made the salsa the night before which made dinner much quicker to throw together.  You can also do the chicken the night before as well to save time.
-I only made two stacks since we have many wee mouths in this house.  I saved the remaining chicken mixture and little bit of salsa I had left for a double duty meal the next night!!  I cooked about 6 oz. homestyle noodles in 6 cups chicken broth, then added the chicken and salsa and made a delicious soup.  


 SOURCE:  Salsa adapted from Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...