Sunday, March 20, 2011

Favorite Sugar Cookies and Cherry Buttercream Frosting

I know there are a lot of sugar cookie recipes out there and everyone has their favorite but today I wanted to share with you MY favorite sugar cookie recipe. It's pretty basic but it uses almond extract in addition to vanilla extract and I LOVE it! I got this recipe from a dear friend and co-worker in college. She used to bring these sugar cookies into the office every holiday and there were never any leftover! As for the frosting, it was kind of an experiment and it worked out fabulously. I have a small collection of flavored oils for candy making and I happened upon a cherry-flavored oil that I thought would be great in a buttercream frosting. Pairing that cherry flavor with the almond in the cookies and, my friends, we have a winning combination! I told my husband that these cookies were so amazing and my favorite sugar cookies ever. He didn't believe me at the time, after all, a sugar cookie is a sugar cookie right? Well, he changed his mind after eating one; he agreed with me. You will too! 

Favorite Sugar Cookies
2 sticks butter 
1 1/2 cups sugar 
2 eggs 
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp. almond extract 
1/4 cup milk 
1/2 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp salt 
4 cups flour 

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract and milk; mix. Add flour and baking soda and mix until combined. Chill dough for about 10-15 minutes. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. 

Cherry Buttercream Frosting 
1 stick butter, at room temperature 
2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar 
1-2 tsp. cherry flavored candy and baking oil 2-4 Tbsp. milk Food coloring (if desired) 

In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add powdered sugar; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds. Scrape down the bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds. Scrape bowl, add cherry oil and milk, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds. Then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice. 


SOURCE:Cookies recipe from my friend Anita; Buttercream adapted from Annie's Eats. 

Linked to... Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen Sweet Tooth Friday @ Ali-N-Son Mangia Mondays @ Delightfully Dowling

4 comments:

  1. that cherry frosting sounds so good, and on the cookie = divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In what store or section of a store might you find the cherry oil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, I'm pretty sure you would find it in a couple different locations. First, in any craft store (i.e. Michaels, Hobby Lobby) that sells cake making supplies, they usually have candy making supplies right next to or near there. I believe Walmart also carries the Lorann brand and I have also seen them in my local grocery store on the baking aisle. Here's a link where I found them on Amazon.com at a decent price.

    http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Cherry-Flavor-Candy-Flavoring/dp/B0000DK4G4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1300804279&sr=8-4

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these cookies are so cute! & the cherry buttercream is a nice twist!

    thank you for linking up to mangia mondays!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...