Friday, February 1, 2013

Sweet Kale Salad

Along with lots of breakfast foods, I also adore salads!!  Since I try to eat lots of salad, I also try to have lots of variety.  Kale and brussels sprouts are the perfect greens for winter.  They are hearty and super healthy. 

I created this salad after eating a pre-packaged version at a party.  My friend raved about it and I couldn't wait to try it. I loved all the components and couldn't wait to make my own.  The pepitas are probably my most favorite part of this salad.  I buy them in bulk and toss them in just about everything I can.  They are so tasty and really compliment this salad.

Other than chopping all those little brussels sprouts, this is a pretty no-fuss salad with just a few ingredients and a delicious lemon poppyseed dressing to top it all off!

Sweet Kale Salad
1/2 bunch kale
5 oz spring salad mix (a couple of large handfuls)
1/4 head of green cabbage, shredded
6 oz. broccoli slaw (or peel outer layer on the stem of a bunch of broccoli and either shred or julienne it)
1/2 lb. brussels sprouts
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup pepitas, toasted

Lemon Poppyseed Dressing (see bottom of post)

Place pepitas in a saute pan over medium-high heat with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.  Saute, stirring frequently, until pepitas start popping and turning a golden color. Set aside to cool.

Rinse kale and shake off excess water.  Chop off thick stems, about halfway down the stalks, removing any leafy parts for the salad, and discard.  Chop the rest of the kale and place in a salad bowl.

To prepare brussels sprouts, rinse and shake off excess water.  Chop off woody ends and remove outer layers, if necessary.  You can either shred in a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, use a mandoline slicer or carefully slice thinly with a knife. Cut cabbage and shred the same as the sprouts.

Add shredded sprouts and cabbage to the salad bowl, along with the salad mix and broccoli slaw, dried cranberries and pepitas.  Toss to combine.  Serve with lemon poppyseed dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...