Monday, February 18, 2013

Almond Joy Cookies


Chocolate and coconut are two of my favorite flavors, especially when paired together.  When they came together in this cookie, it was pretty much cookie nirvana for me.  Now I have my other two favorites.  THIS CCC was my first love, then along came THIS one, which I could not get enough of for like ever!!  But, I think these Almond Joy Cookies have earned their place in my top three...and I don't think they are going anywhere.

These cookies are both chewy and a little crunchy, the best of both worlds! I used coconut oil as part of the fat which not only gives it that little crunch on the outside but lends more nutrition than butter (not that I'm trying to make a "healthy" cookie here though).

If you like chocolate and coconut, this is the combo for you!!

Almond Joy Cookies
1/2 cup  butter, softened
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (it will have a slight coconut scent and flavor)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and coconut oil until light and fluffy.  Add sugar and continue beating another minute or so.  Add eggs, one at a time,  until incorporated, then almond extract.  Sift together flour, soda and salt and add it to the rest of the ingredients.  Mix until just incorporated.  Add in coconut, chocolate chips and almonds last and gently stir in the dough, until evenly distributed.

Using a small scoop, drop dough onto cookie sheet, 8 or 9 to a pan. Bake for about 10 minutes.
Allow to cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.


SOURCE: Adapted from Heather Christo Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...