Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ham Beans

Crockpot Ham Beans
1 lb. red beans
1 meaty ham bone
1 onion, large diced
salt and pepper
water or chicken stock

Soak beans in crock pot over night. (NOTE: I buy my beans in the bulk section of my grocery store.  They tend to be more fresh, so I don't soak them overnight.  They also cook up faster than those prepackaged.)  Drain beans and rinse. 

Put beans back into crockpot; add ham bone, onion and enough water to come about 2 inches above beans (Don't worry if ham bone sticks above water a bit.)

Cook on high about 2-3 hours, then on low for another 3-4, or until tender.  Turn off crock pot and remove ham bone.  Pull off  any ham from bone and stick it back in with the beans.  Salt beans to taste and serve warm. I like to serve my beans with cornbread.


NOTES:I love these beans. We ate them a lot as kids and even though they are so simple, they taste so good, especially along with warm cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...