Friday, May 20, 2016

Teriyaki Chicken Burgers with Piña Colada Sauce


Two of my favorite "take out" foods I love (and prefer) to make at home are pizza and hamburgers. Pizza, obvs, because I can put whatever crazy toppings I want, not just pepperoni and cheese.  Hamburgers because, hello, PRETZEL BUNS!!  No seriously, they are the bomb.  I discovered them at Costco last year and now it's the only thing I use for my homemade burgers. Actually I think the taste of a homemade burger far surpasses that of anything you'd get at a fast food joint.  And, I'm choosy about my ground beef and like to know where it comes from.  I have been using this recipe for years and I love it.  It's great to build on.

Buuuuut, I wanted to step outside the norm with this one, do chicken and amp up the flavors a bit.  The thought of this burger had me drooling and I could not wait to make it. It was seriously delish, maybe not something for a quick weeknight dinner, but definitely something to plan for the weekend!

While these burgers are fabulous with the pretzel buns, they are not necessary, you can use any ol' bun you'd like.  And the teriyaki sauce I used was thicker like a glaze or dipping sauce.


Teriyaki Chicken Burgers with Piña Colada Sauce

for the burgers:
1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken
2 Tbsp. onion, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp. jalapeño, finely diced
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
3 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce

6 pretzel buns, sliced in half
6 slices colby jack cheese
6 slices cooked bacon
6 slices fresh pineapple (core intact)
extra teriyaki sauce

for the piña colada sauce:
1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
2 Tbsp. cream of coconut
1/2 cup sour cream


In a bowl, gently mix the ground chicken with the rest of the burger ingredients. Make 6 patties.  Refrigerate about 30-60 minutes to help them firm up a bit, they will be very soft.

Prepare outdoor grill.  Place chicken patties as well as pineapple slices on the grill.  Grill chicken 4-7 minutes each side.  Grill pineapple 2-4 minutes each side. *NOTE: Grilling the pineapple with the core intact helps it not fall apart while cooking.  Once removed and cooled, use a pairing knife to remove the core.

Meanwhile, puree pineapple chunks, cream of coconut and sour cream together for the piña colada sauce.  Pour into bowl or squeeze bottle for serving.

Remove burgers from grill once done cooking; place a slice of cheese on each patty to melt. Turn heat down on grill and place buns, cut side down, to toast up a bit. Just keep an eye on them, it should only take a minute or two.

To assemble burgers, spread a spoonful of teriyaki sauce on each half of the bun.  Next, spread the piña colada sauce, add a patty, slice of pineapple and bacon and top with the lid. 

Enjoy every last bite!  It's worth it!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...