Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cake Batter Pancakes


I love to celebrate, especially when it comes to my kids and birthdays. I love to make them feel special and make them food that makes them smile. Saturday, however, was my birthday and I got to make these fun pancakes to share with everyone.

Seriously, if you're a fan of birthday cake, cake batter or heck, even pancakes, you're going to love these. My oldest daughter helped me make the batter and was so thrilled that she could dump in all those sprinkles. That just made it for her.

This is such a fun way to celebrate a birthday and it doesn't take much effort. Even if it's not anybody's birthday, these are fun and are sure to put a smile on anyone's face.

Wondering what to do with all that leftover cake mix? May I suggest you make MORE of these pancakes? Or you can even use it to make cake batter ice cream. Keep it in an ziploc bag or an air-tight container and it will keep for months, you don't have to use it right away.

Cake Batter Pancakes
makes about 10 pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow or white cake mix
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1-2 Tbsp. oil
1 1/2 cups milk (dairy, almond, rice, etc.; I used almond)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

assorted sprinkles

Combine flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix. Add egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. Add more milk, if needed. Let batter sit while griddle heats up.

Preheat griddle or skillet, whichever you are using. Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet and let cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with vanilla glaze and extra sprinkles, if desired.

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp. milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency.


SOURCE:Adapted from How Sweet It Is


Linked to...
Whisking Wednesdays @ Pinch of This, That & The Other
Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen
Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prairie Story
It's a Keeper Thursday @ It's A Keeper
Mangia Mondays @ Delightfully Dowling
Savory Sunday @ The Sweet Details

18 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower. This recipe looks amazing! I'm doing a link party and would love it if you'd post one of your awesome looking recipes.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/05/whisking-wednesdays-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine how lovely those pancakes would taste. Cake batter flavors are the best. Also, I wanted to let you know that another blogger has taken your picture of your pancakes and posted it on her blog but doesn't seem to give credit to your blog for the picture. Here's the link so you can check it out - http://sipandbite.blogspot.com/2011/05/cake-batter-pancakes.html.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delish and what a fun way to start off your birthday than with this for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No kidding! It's not like we need an excuse to eat pancakes since we eat them often, but these were extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday, Michelle! The pancakes is a fun and delicious birthday treat! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU have made my night as I have discovered your blog AND this fabulously fun, festive and yummy looking recipe for pancakes!!! I can't wait to make them! Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you found me. Make these soon, you will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of cake mix in the pancakes! This looks super festive :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to say thanks for linking up on last week's Whisking Wednesdays. I feature you and gave you the #1 spot with this pancake recipe! They look amazing and I can't wait to try them! Would love for you to link up another recipe this week.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to tell you I totally made these pancakes for lunch today and they were amazing! Loved them! Will definitely be making these again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this form of birthday cakes very cool I am a new follower of yours come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my these would be dangerous at my house...I love birthday cake and pancakes...Yummy!! visiting from Lisa's shine your light mangia monday blog hop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're my hero! These just MADE. ME. SMILE!! Sooooo awesome and I can NOT wait to try them:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You'll love them. Glad I could make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this looks wonderful! Thanks so much for linking up to Savory Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...