Saturday, April 2, 2016

Overnight Yeasted Waffles


Up until about 2 years ago, I had almost never made waffles my entire life.  Sure, I grew up with a mom that made them often and I enjoyed them. But I always considered myself a pancake connoisseur.  I've made LOADS of pancakes I can make just about any kind with my eyes closed, no recipe needed. Waffles, to me, were just not on my radar because there were those little extra steps of separating the eggs, whipping the whites and folding them in the batter. Just not my thing (ok there could be a time and place for it-but not for breakfast).

Then it happened.  I found LOVE.  Waffle Love that is.  About two summers ago the Waffle Love food truck started showing up around the corner from where I live and I just HAD to try.  I mean I can make a mean breakfast so if they can sell this thing from a truck, it MUST be good.  And it was.  And I died with my first bite.

You see these aren't your typical buttermilk, whip 'em up in the morning waffles.  These waffles have yeast and the batter sits out overnight for the flavor to develop (kind of like you would a sourdough starter).  And when you cook them in the waffle maker, oohhhhh the smell that fills your house.  I just died again.

These have become a tradition we do twice a year, in the spring and in the fall.  We enjoy these waffles with Nutella, Biscoff cookie butter, whipped cream and fresh fruit-usually berries. Once you try these you will NEVER (maybe almost never) go back again.


Overnight Yeasted Waffles

the night before:
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp.  active-dry yeast
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups whole milk
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp.  sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour 

the next day:
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. baking soda 

Combine the yeast and the water in a large mixing bowl and let stand for a few minutes. Stir to make sure the yeast dissolves into the water. Melt the butter over low heat. Combine the butter with the milk, salt, and sugar (if using). Test with your finger to make sure the mixture has cooled to lukewarm, then stir it into the dissolved yeast mixture. Add the flour and stir until a thick, shaggy dough is formed and there is no more visible flour.

Cover the bowl with either plastic wrap or a loose fitting lid and let it sit on the counter overnight. The batter will double in bulk as it rises.

The next morning, beat the eggs  and baking soda  into the batter until completely combined.
 
Make the waffles according to your waffle maker's instructions, cooking until the waffles are golden-brown. Cooking time will vary with your waffle maker, but it is typically 4 to 6 minutes.

Waffles are best if served immediately, but re-heat well in the toaster. Leftovers can be kept refrigerated for up to a week. Leftover waffles can also be frozen for up to 3 months and toasted straight out of the freezer.


SOURCE:  The Kitchn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...