Monday, January 17, 2011

Banana Bars


These banana bars totally take me back to my college days. Along with chocolate chip cookies and brownies, these were my standard goodies. When I made these the other day, a whole 9x13 pan for our small family, they did not even last 24 hours. Ok, I did give a few away to our neighbor, but still!

Bananas and chocolate are a great combination and for me the darker the chocolate, the browner the banana the better! You don't want to miss these delicious treats.

Banana Bars
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup (about 2) mashed ripe banana
1 egg
1 pkg. (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, sugars and vanilla in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in bananas and egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into greased 9x13 baking pan or 15x10 jelly roll pan.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.


SOURCE:Toll House Best-Loved Cookies Cookbook

Linked to...
Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prairie Story
Sweets for a Saturday @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen
Seasonal Sunday @ Real Sustenance
It's A Keeper Thursday @ It's A Keeper

17 comments:

  1. i have to bake banana into something in our first step towards seeing if the little one can eat bananas now. this looks like the perfect recipe, so much more exciting than banana bread. i'll have to sub out the egg though, so just to confirm, the egg is used to bind, right? just want to make sure i replace it properly! now i need bananas, haven't had them in the house for almost 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the egg is to bind. However, bananas are also used as a binder so I don't think you'll have to replace it at all, the banana should hold it together. Oh, I have another recipe for you for some breakfast cookies that uses bananas as a binder. I have a vegan friend who doesn't use eggs, dairy, etc., and she sent me the recipe today actually. They are really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michele! I actually use a lot of vegan recipes to avoid dairy and eggs and everything turns out great. It's just hard to convince people that just because there's no dairy and eggs, doesn't mean it's calorie and fat free! Both recipes look great and I'll be making both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had four bananas last week that turned brown before I could use them and I was really looking for something that wasn't banana bread. These look great! I froze my mushed up bananas and will make these soon.
    I'm interested in the vegan breakfast cookie too, if you don't mind sending it to me :-)
    THanks in advance.
    mareskitchen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooohhh, these sound good. Lots of chocolate to make them tasty and banana to make them into a "healthy" treat. In fact, I'd say you could eat these for breakfast too and feel good. I'm starting a new linky on my blog this Saturday called "Sweets for a Saturday." I'd like to invite you to come by then and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, will do! I'll see you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michele,
    Your banana bars look so good. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday, the linky will be open all week end. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just stopped by to say that I found you through Lisa's Sweet As Sugar Cookies blog and liked your picture and wanted to let you know I love your blog and these banana bars look AMAZING! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious! i wish i were your neighbour so that i could be lucky enough to receive a few pieces of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These Banana Bars Look SO yummy!! Wanted to invite you to come share them at this weeks Seasonal Sunday! They fit the theme perfectly.
    xo, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michele,
    I was very excited to find that you had brought your wonderful Banana Bars to Full Plate Thursday. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love finding new banana recipes since we always seem to have ones going brown in our house. These look simple and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm printing this off and making them tomorrow. They are my kind of treat! Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I'm stopping by from Miz Helen's. This banana bars looks delicious. I just signed up as your new follower. Please do visit when you can. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I really appreciate the support and hope you'll be able to join in next Saturday. By then I'll have a cute button that you can grab. I just noticed your sidebar, are you Mormon? So am I.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those were SO good! So glad you made them and brought them by a few weeks ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. those look delicious! banana and chocolate are always a yummy combo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...