Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinnamon-Honey Ice Cream


Remember how I told you that last year I made these cupcakes for my birthday/Cinco de Mayo celebration? Well, I also made this Cinnamon-Honey Ice Cream to go with them. My sister asked me to post the recipe ages ago and here I am a year later and I still haven't posted it!!!

I love making ice cream at home and I started doing it lots last summer. This ice cream is great. It's sweet and creamy with all the yuminess of cinnamon and vanilla all swirled together.

If you're planning on celebrating Cinco de Mayo with Mexican fare, this ice cream is the perfect accompaniment either by itself or along side some sopapillas, Mexican Wedding cookies or bunelos.

Cinnamon-Honey Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
20 cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Warm the half-and-half and sugar in a medium saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Temper the eggs by slowly pouring the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Tie the cloves in a small piece of cheese cloth and add them, along with the 2 sticks of cinnamon, to the saucepan. Stir mixture constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Pour custard through a strainer, or cheesecloth, then stir in the cream, honey, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Add the cinnamon sticks and the cloves back to the custard mixture, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (up to overnight).

Take out the cloves and cinnamon sticks and pour custard into ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Linked to...
Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prairie Story
It's A Keeper Thursday @ It's A Keeper
Sweets For A Saturday @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Sweet Indulgences Sunday @ A Well-Seasoned Life

11 comments:

  1. I've been on an ice cream making kick too. Your ice cream sounds delicious, love the flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Never tried cinnamon ice-cream before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's about time!! This is good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh that sounds so good! Cinnamon and honey is such a good mix

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds yummy come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! I love anything cinnamon! I'm visiting from Its a Keeper Friday! Bookmarking this idea.

    -Linds
    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delish. I live in California and the days are getting warmer and the freezer has more and more ice cream in it. We love homemade icecream and try many recipes. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this ice cream can pair up so perfectly with so many desserts! thanks for sharing; now your newest follower and i hope that you can stop by and follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seriously got to add ice cream maker to my wish list. There are some great ice cream recipes out there and this one looks delicious! Thanks for linking up to Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...