Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Caprese Baked Egg Cups


Along with pancakes and oatmeal, eggs are another thing we make the most of for breakfast around here.  They are quick, easy and filling, especially along slide some nice crusty bread. While during the week I usually keep it to scrambled eggs, on the weekend I like to indulge a little. 

My first experience with baked eggs were these Fontina and Spinach Baked Eggs. Boy did they make my mouth water! I probably ate them every day for like a week.  Since then I have discovered and fallen in love with Trader Joe's smoked mozzarella and this new version of baked eggs.  Caprese anything and you have me drooling.  Although these eggs aren't quite as quick to make as scrambled, they don't take  more than a few minutes extra to prepare. And bonus, it'll make a party in your mouth with every bite!!

Caprese Baked Egg Cups
makes 4 small ramekins
 
4 eggs
1 pint grape tomatoes
3-4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese (I like to use smoked mozzarella from Trader Joe's)
8-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tsp. cream or milk
softened butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter the insides of 4 ramekins.  Crack an egg in each and add half teaspoon of cream to.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add some tomatoes, cheese and basil. 

Set ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for about 5-8 minutes.  Turn on broiler and bake another 5 minutes or so for firmer yolks, less time for more runny yolks.

Serve warm with crusty bread.


SOURCE: How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...