Monday, February 3, 2014

Black Bean Soup


This has been a favorite of ours for a few years. I had actually kind of forgotten about it until my 5 year old started asking me about "that bean soup that you crush the tortilla chips in."  It took me a minute to remember which bean soup she was talking about, because I was kind of shocked she was actually asking for bean soup!

I LOVE this soup for a couple of reasons.  First, it comes together so quickly and second, my kids don't fuss about it because there's no chunky things in it they have to fish out haha! (Not because they're not there though, because it's pureed they just can't tell.)  So sneaky, I love it.

The day after I made this soup my 5 year old asked me if there were any leftovers she could have for dinner.  She was ecstatic when I told her there was and then she ate two bowls full.  This is my daughter who LOVES junk food and candy, who will snoop out and find ANY piece of candy in the house if there is one.  This soup is definitely a keeper!

Black Bean Soup
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 small onion, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 3.5-oz can green chilies
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste

optional toppings: sour cream, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, diced avocado


Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.  Add carrots, celery and onion; saute about 5-6 minutes, or until onions are translucent and soft.  Add garlic and saute another 60 seconds.  Add green chilies, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook about 1-2 minutes, until the spices are fragrant.  Add beans, broth and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes. 

Remove soup from heat. Remove bay leaf from the soup.  Using a stick blender, puree the soup to your liking (you can leave is as chunky or smooth as you'd like).  Alternately you can work in batches pureeing it in a blender.  Squeeze in fresh lime juice and add in salt and pepper to taste.  Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.

Ladle hot soup into bowls and add toppings as desired.


SOURCE: Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...