Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chili-Lime Chicken Taquitos


I seriously can't believe I have not posted about these taquitos until now.  They have become the number one thing requested for dinner lately.  I don't even know how I stumbled upon making them the first time around, but they were a HUGE hit from the get-go.  After that my oldest daughter has consistently asked to have them for dinner about once a week.  Thankfully they are so quick and easy to throw together and just take a few simple ingredients; you're sure to have most of them on hand.


Chili-Lime Chicken Taquitos
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 Tbsp. chili powder
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (mozzarella or Mexican blend  is good too)
salt and pepper 
uncooked flour tortillas

sour cream
guacamole
salsa

Cook chicken using your preferred method.  For a quick and easy method, add uncooked chicken to a pot with 3 cups water, 1/4 tsp. salt, 8 black peppercorns, half an onion, quartered, and a bay leaf.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.  Cook 20 minutes or until done.  Remove from pot, cool and shred.
 
Add shredded chicken,  chili powder,  lime juice and cilantro to a large skillet.  Gently warm over medium heat.  Stir and taste for seasoning.  Add salt and pepper as necessary.  Stir in cheese and remove from heat.

Lay out one uncooked tortilla at a time.  Place 3-4 tablespoons of filling along one end, pushing it out to the edges.  Roll up and place seam side down on a baking sheet.  Continue with remaining filling and tortillas.  Make sure you leave a little space in between each taquito so they will be cooked all around.  Using a pastry brush, lightly brush olive oil over the tops of each taquito (you could also use an olive oil spritzer).  Sprinkle a pinch of coarse salt over each.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Bake taquitos about 15 minutes or until tops are lightly golden.  Serve warm, with your choice of guacamole, salsa or sour cream. 

1 comment:

  1. Michele! I don't know if you will see this comment, but I made this recipe this week for my family, and they loved it!! In fact, they made me make it again a few days later. Thanks for the awesome recipe! I put it on my blog so that I can have easy access to it from now on. :) I'm sure I will be trying your other taquito recipes. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...