Monday, January 27, 2014

Spinach, Artichoke and Pesto Pizza


We've had a long-standing tradition of having homemade pizza every Friday night and it's one of our family traditions that I absolutely LOVE!  When I was teaching school I always used to tell my students on Friday that it was party day because it was the weekend.  I couldn't wait to get home and celebrate, veg and make yummy food.  Although over the years our Friday nights have changed, we eventually settled into the Friday night pizza night, which I'm sure we'll keep for years to come.

On pizza night I usually make two pizzas.  My girls are still not adventurous when it comes to toppings, so I just stick with homemade sauce and mozzarella.  Thank goodness my hubby is a good sport because I always try to make something different for us to share.  MOST of the time, it works out great.  Tonight was no exception.  This pizza was fabulous!!  Maybe it's because it's slathered with pesto, I LOVE all things basil, or the combination of toppings, but it really hit the spot.  You'll love it!


Spinach, Artichoke and Pesto Pizza
1 recipe Perfect Pizza Crust
1 recipe Basil Pesto (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1 14-oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded parmesan


Prepare pizza crust according to directions.

Preheat baking stone* and oven to 450 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes.

Once dough has risen and doubled in size, roll it out on a pizza peel generously dusted with corn meal.  You can also roll it out on parchment paper.  Spread the pesto over the dough, leaving about a 1-inch border.  Layer the spinach, artichokes, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.  Slide dough onto pizza stone and bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden.  Cool slightly before cutting into it.

*If you don't have a baking stone, you can use an inverted cookie sheet.


SOURCE: Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...