Monday, June 17, 2013

Fresh Raspberry Scones

One thing I love about summer is the abundance of fresh produce, especially fresh berries.  Occasionally berries will go a on a super sale and I can't help but stock my freezer full, namely for smoothies.  However, I ALWAYS have to keep some out fresh to enjoy their goodness.  I  have to restrain my girls or they would eat the lot within minutes, but I do give them their fair share before I have a go at them.  I usually limit my use to just one baked goodie and eat the rest fresh as well.

Fresh raspberries are so delicious in simply baked treats and I knew they would shine in these scones.  Pair that with some dark chocolate and buttermilk and you have yourself a little piece of heaven!

Fresh Raspberry Scones
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup fresh raspberries


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In large work bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, add flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Pulse a few times to combine.  Add butter and whiz until mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Put mixture into a mixing bowl. Add raspberries, chocolate and toss.  Add buttermilk. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms. Use your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, only about 3 or 4 times, adding a bit more flour, if needed. Do not over-work or dough will be chewy.

Form scones by patting the dough into a circle and cut into wedges.

Place scones on un-greased baking sheet and bake until lightly brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...