Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Garlic Naan (flat bread)



I love a good flat bread.  I confess, every time I go to the grocery store I scan the day old bakery rack for their reduced flat bread and I always snag what's there and throw it in my freezer.  There must be others that think like me because I haven't seen it in a long time!  Since I can't stand to pay full price for something that costs next to pennies (almost) to make I went on a quest to find a great recipe so that I can just make them at home. 

Let me tell you, there are A LOT of naan recipes out there.  I kinda wanted to stay true to a more authentic recipe so I have made one with Greek yogurt and LOTS of garlic.  These are so delicious and never last long at our house.  I love to eat them with hummus but you can wrap pretty much anything up in them and call it good, or serve them with your favorite Indian or Greek meal.

Garlic Naan (flat bread)
3 cups flour (I used whole wheat, you can use white, half/half or whatever combination you choose)
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (I used Greek)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup warm water

Place everything but the water in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.  Pulse to combine, then add the water.  Mix on low for about 1 minute.  If it looks too wet, add a little more flour 1 tablespoon at a time. For all whole wheat flour, mix for 10 minutes; for all white, about 5; for a mix, somewhere in between.  When finished mixing, dough should be tacky but not too sticky.

Place dough in an oiled bowl, covered lightly with a towel or plastic wrap.  Let rise until doubled.

Turn dough out onto a clean work surface.  Cut dough into 8 equal portions and roll into balls.  Let rest another 10 minutes.

Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium high.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each ball, one at a time, either into a long oval or teardrop shape.  If the dough keeps springing back, let it rest another few minutes. 

Transfer rolled out dough to skillet or griddle and cook until bubbles start to form on top and underside is lightly golden; about 30-60 seconds. Flip and do the same on the other side.  Remove to a plate and brush with melted butter or ghee. Repeat with remaining dough.

Serve warm alongside your favorite Indian or Greek meal, or cut into wedges and serve with hummus.  Store in an airtight bag or container for a week on the counter.


SOURCE: Adapted from Arctic Garden Studio

2 comments:

  1. This is the recipe I been waiting for so long, you make so easy for me to give it a try..:)thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are quite easy and delicious. Good luck with your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...