Sunday, September 19, 2010

Corn and Basil Cakes


This picture sure doesn't do these cakes justice. I think this is the first savory pancake I have ever made and I am so pleased with how they turned out. They were even well received by my family. I can't get enough of fresh basil. I love it. It is so perfect in the summer and you can throw it into a ton of things. It has such a fresh and vibrant taste. Fresh corn is another thing I love during the summertime. I think I may even like eating it raw better than cooked! Corn and basil is the perfect pairing for these pancakes, but it can really lend itself to many other flavors as well, like chives, garlic, caramelized onion, sun-dried tomato, black beans and cilantro, the possibilities are many.

I served these little cakes with a dollop of sour cream, sliced garden tomatoes and bacon (gasp!). I haven't cooked bacon in quite a while so my family was loving it. I made these my main dish and just used a little bacon on the side but you could serve these as a side with some grilled chicken or steak as well.

I know the summer is winding down, but if you find yourself with some fresh corn on your hands, give these a try.

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears;) or thawed frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Whisk flour, milk, eggs, oil, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in corn and basil.

Heat griddle over medium heat until hot (but not smoking). Cook 4 cakes at a time, using about 1/4 cup batter for each, making them about 3 inches wide. Cook until the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter, making about 8 cakes total. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent burning.

SOURCE:Adapted from Eating Well via Meet Me In The Kitchen

This recipe linked to Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. I've never had a savory pancake before, only your typical breakfast ones. I bet these are wonderful. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my site today. Have a wonderful rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...