Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Berry Cheesecake Ice Cream


Wow, this ice cream is amazing! This summer I have made ice cream more times than I ever have and it's been fun experimenting. Some have been good, others didn't really float my boat or anything. Until this ice cream, the chocolate coconut ice cream I made a while back totally blew my mind. While I still think that one will continue to be my favorite, mainly because it's chocolate, this one totally blows my mind as well. It tastes just like cheesecake and is so rich and creamy, not icy like some others I've made. I love that it has the cheesecake layers instead of just mixing it all in together. I made this for a family gathering so we all got just a taste. We'll for sure make this again, but I might have to share or I may end up eating the whole thing!

For the berry layer:
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cups mixed berries (I used blueberries and raspberries)
1 Tbsp lemon juice

For the graham cracker layer:
2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

For the ice cream base:
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups sour cream
12 oz cream cheese (1 1/2 bars)
1/3 fresh lemon juice (about 1-2 lemons, depending on the size)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Combine berry mixture in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened. Refrigerate until chilled. (I did this step the night before so everything would be chilled and ready to put into the ice cream maker.)

Combine graham cracker mixture and pat onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned; cool completely. Crumble and set aside.

For ice cream, beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add the sugar and then beat in the sour cream followed by the cream.

Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix until thick and smooth. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.

Freeze in ice cream machine according to machine directions.
In a freezer safe container, layer ice cream, blueberry mixture, and graham cracker mixture 3 times then swirl with a knife. Cover and freeze until firm.

SOURCE:Adapted from Cooking with Christine

Linked to...
Sweets For A Saturday @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Sweet Indulgences Sunday @ A Well-Seasoned Life

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! My husband and I were just discussing that I need to go by an ice cream maker NOW! There are just so many inspiring ice cream recipes out there like this one. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...