Monday, July 23, 2012

Strawberry-Banana-Orange Green Smoothie


The other day I wanted to share this smoothie recipe with some friends so I went back through my post list and couldn't find it! I can't believe I haven't shared it with you before. This smoothie, or spinach drink as I used to call it, is the first one I had ever tried, over 10 years ago, albeit with some modifications.

I got the main idea for this smoothie, from a college roommate who had celiac and couldn't eat wheat, so she ate a lot of fruits and veggies, and this smoothie. Back then you didn't hear about celiac and gluten-free, so at first I thought it was a little weird, but then I tried it and loved it. I didn't even have a powerful blender back then and my drinks came out a little chunky and the spinach wasn't very well blended, but I didn't care, it was healthy and good.

So, here I am finally sharing what has evolved into my favorite green smoothie. If you have been reluctant to try the green drinks past, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.


Strawberry-Banana-Orange Green Smoothie
1 cup water
splash of almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 whole orange, peeled*
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 frozen banana
2 handfuls baby spinach

*If you do not have a powerful blender, I suggest just using the juice of the orange or about 1/2 cup orange juice.

**If your strawberries are not frozen, use ice for part of the water.

Place ingredients in blender in order listed. Blend to your liking-may take a few minutes if you do not have a powerful blender. Drink immediately or store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to 48 hours. Shake well before drinking.

Makes about 3-4 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...