Monday, July 9, 2012

Berry Balsamic Basil Sauce

So, if you remember last week I was talking about using up a whole bunch of fresh basil in like a day or two. I tell you, I love that stuff and I can't seem to get enough of it, especially when summer rolls around. I think I added it to every meal I ate one day last week. I was on the prowl for any way to use it.

As soon as I got it in my head to mix balsamic, basil and fruit for an ice cream topping, I couldn't not wait to make it. I have been loving this stuff ever since, and I daresay, more than chocolate! Now that's saying a lot.

This would be perfect to share at a family or friend gathering. It would make any plain old bowl of vanilla ice cream shine like a superstar! And, it's just in time for national ice cream month.

Berry Balsamic Basil Sauce
12 oz. berries (I used half blueberries and half strawberries; frozen is fine)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped

Put everything, except basil, into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 5 minutes. *Using an immersion blender, puree fruit in sauce and continue boiling until sauce has reduced and thickened a bit; about 5-10 minutes longer. Sauce will thicken upon cooling.

When sauce is done cooking, add fresh basil and allow to cool. Pour into container with a tight-fitting; mine fit perfectly into a half-pint mason jar. Store leftovers in the fridge.


*If you don't have an immersion blender, you may want to puree the fruit before you begin cooking.


SOURCE:Slightly adapted from Oh, She Dabbles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...