Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Double Bean Burgers with Avocado-Basil Cream


Haha, I'm so proud of myself for pulling off this meal with my kids. I hijacked their normal burger and replaced it with this delicious and flavorful double bean burger and they weren't even the wiser! My oldest daughter even told me how yummy it was and ate most of it as well.

I had to give my husband the "ojo" across the table to make sure he didn't spill the beans about the beans in the burgers. Cause I know if my girls got one wiff of the fact that there were beans on those buns instead of a "real" burger, they for sure would have turned up their noses at it and not eaten another bite. Luckily the man caught my drift and we were safe.

I have actually been wanting to make bean burgers forever. I've bookmarked many many recipes, only to delete them thinking it would be a waste of my time because no one would eat them but me. I finally got up the nerve when I saw this recipe. They looked yummy and flavorful, but to tell you the truth the basil avocado cream totally SOLD me. Anything with basil and I SWOON.

Truly this does make a delicious and light burger and it's a great addition to any repertoire of meatless meals.

Double Bean Burgers
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 large egg
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 whole grain buns, toasted if desired

In a large bowl, mash beans with a potato masher or fork. Add in the rest of the ingredients, using only 1 tablespoon of the oil, and mix thoroughly to combine, bringing it together with your hands if needed. Separate the beans into 6 equal sections and form patties.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil (or as much as you need). Add burgers and cook on each side until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove and serve with avocado cream on whole wheat buns.

Avocado-Basil Cream
1 avocado
1/3 cup mayonnaise
10 basil leaves, chopped
pinch of salt and pepper

Mash the avocado, then mix with the mayonnaise to combine. Stir in the basil leaves and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve over bean burgers.


SOURCE: Slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...