Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spicy Cucumber Salad with Peanuts


Peanuts and cucumbers, who would have thought? I would have never put them together, but they make a surprisingly wonderful combination. I saw a similar recipe one day while blog hopping and remembered seeing this recipe in my Cooking Light cookbook. I've turned past that recipe so many times, without even considering making it. I don't know what flipped the switch this time, but I couldn't get it out of my mind and just had to make it.

Let me tell you, it was a huge hit, even with my kids. We couldn't stop eating it as we prepared it, so when it was actually time to bring it to the dinner table, there was not much left. Needless to say, there were no leftovers.

This is a great salad, perfect for spring or summer. It's got some great combinations going on too: light and fresh, sweet and salty, crispy and crunchy!

Spicy Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
1 1/2 pounds cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I left these of my kids' portions)
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts

Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour. Place cucumber slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pat dry.

Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove vinegar reduction from heat; cool. Stir in onion. Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a medium bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.

SOURCE:
Cooking Light

Linked to...
Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prairie Story
It's a Keeper Thursday @ It's A Keeper
Mangia Mondays @ Delightfully Dowling

8 comments:

  1. I love making sesame peanut butter udon noodles and topping it off with some julienned cucumbers. I think the next time I make a batch, I will augment it with these spicy cukes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you (and following you) from It's a Keeper's Hop! These look great - we have extra cukes right now - this will be perfect for this weekend! Thanks.
    Stop by and come see what I made when you have time!
    Carla at Mrs. No-No Knows
    www.twitter.com/mrsnonoknows
    www.facebook.com/mrsnonoknows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just posted it on my FB page - I really am gonna make this over the weekend! Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am very itrigued with this combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a light & refreshing salad! thanks so much for linking up to mangia mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi! in fact, in singapore where i come from, and most of southeast asia, it's very common to combine the two. e.g. satay with cucuumbers on the side an d a satay peanut sauce etc, and sprinkled over cucumber salads. adds that nice bit of crunch and flavour! there's also this spicy pickled cucumber salad with roasted peanuts/sesame seeds, really really good(:

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/05/simplified-nonya-achar-peranakan-spicy.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful salad ... i can't wait to try it !!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...