Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chicken Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes

Sunday Soup

Even though it's getting warmer, I still love to make soup. Today was actually a perfect day to make soup because, although it was sunny, the wind gave us quite the chill coming home from church! This soup warmed me right up.

My sister gave me this recipe last year and I wasn't sure how I'd like it. I was definitely surprised how much I liked it. I love sweet potatoes to begin with, but they were great paired with the corn. I also loved using the corn muffin mix to thicken it up, it's very tasty!

3 cups milk
1 cup yellow corn muffin mix (like Jiffy)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 quarts chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
3 cup frozen corn (not thawed)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Mix muffin mix in a bowl until well combined; set aside. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, chicken and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are just tender.

Stir in milk and muffin mixture and simmer until soup thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Add cheese and corn and cook until cheese begins to melt. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't too sure, but after your description it sounds delicious! I'm curious about the sweet potatoes. I've tried to purchase them before but they never look orange like the yams do. Are you using yams or actual sweet potatoes? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, most people don't use real sweet potatoes and I don't even think all grocery stores sell both sweet potatoes and yams. What I used are really yams, but people call them sweet potatoes anyway. Hope you like it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...