Monday, May 3, 2010

Bean Curry


Wow! I was not planning on making this curry or even curry from scratch but I found this recipe from my sister. They are huge Thai and curry fans. To be honest, I chose it more because it had some of the ingredients I needed to use up in my fridge and I knew the box of Golden Curry would last in my cupboard. I started getting excited about making the curry when I realized it had dairy in it. That meant a dairy dinner two nights in a row (corn chowder from Sunday) that my husband couldn't eat and that he may have to scrounge for something from the freezer again!

Then, a light went on and I remembered my love for coconut and that it paired perfectly with curry. So, I swapped the dairy for coconut milk and let me tell you, this curry was divine. Even if you think you don't like curry, you'll like this. The flavors are mild enough for those not so inclined to spicy food (me) but still showcase a fantastic curry flavor.

I served the curry with this Thai Coconut Rice that I discovered recently and Naan, an Indian flat bread. You can buy Naan pretty readily at your local market (I found mine at Walmart), or, if you're ambitious, you can make your own. Other flat bread or pita bread would also go great with this curry.

Oh, and I just have to mention the cilantro. At first I just sprinkled a little bit on, but after I took a bite, I added a lot more. I loved the freshness the cilantro brings.

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped (you could really add a whole onion, but I'm not a huge fan)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger*
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Garam Masala
3/4-1 cup coconut milk
1 cup vegetable stock or chicken broth
2 cups white beans (I cooked from dry beans, but you can certainly substitute a can of beans.)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes or until translucent and slightly browned. Add in garlic and grated ginger root, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn; about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes then the turmeric, salt, paprika, and garam masala. Stir to combine. Add coconut milk, stock, and beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in some cilantro and then use a little more for garnish. Serve with jasmine or Thai Coconut Rice.

*I like to freeze my ginger if I don't use it often enough, then when it's time to use it, I can just grate it frozen over my microplane and it works great!

SOURCE:Adapted from my sister who got it from My Kitchen Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...