Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pecan Apple Chicken Salad with Peanut Sauce


Woohoo, I finally got to make this salad. I think I have put it on my monthly menu for the past 3 months and just have not gotten to it. It was totally making my mouth water when I saw it on Tasty Kitchen, featuring The Noshery. This was a total hit. My husband usually likes most everything I make, and even if he doesn't he eats it and even finished the leftovers. He doesn't say much about it most of the time but when he bit into this salad he said it was delicious! I was so thrilled. I think I'll be working this into our spring and summer menus often.

This would also be delicious as a meatless salad. You could beef it up with more veggies and add whole, or roughly chopped, pecans.

For the chicken:
6 chicken tenderloins
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 egg, whisked
salt & pepper

For the salad:
1 red apple, thinly sliced (I used Gala, it was perfect)
1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
green leaf lettuce, about 2 bunches (enough for 6 people)
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
2 carrots, shredded
raisins

For the sauce:
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
Worcestershire sauce, a couple splashes

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, spray baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with a silpat. Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper.

Combine chopped pecans and breadcrumbs together with cinnamon and nutmeg. Lay out on a pie tin or a large plate. Use another tin or large plate for the egg.

Set up a breading station by setting the egg tin first, the pecan mixture next to it and the baking sheet right next to that. Dredge chicken tenders in the egg, then the pecan mixture and place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.

While the chicken is baking prepare the sauce and salad. For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a blender and give it a whirl until smooth. (You can also use a whisk in a bowl if you don't have a blender.)

Make sure all the vegetables are washed. Chop everything and mix it together in a large salad bowl.

To serve, place the salad on a large plate, top with chicken tender and drizzle with sauce.

Serves 6

SOURCE:Adapted from The Noshery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...