Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Spinach, Tomato & Goat Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash



Quite a while back my mom brought me some garden spoils and I have to admit this squash sat in my pantry for longer than I'd like to admit!  I almost never cook spaghetti squash just because I never think about it and I'm pretty sure my girls would stick their noses up at it.  Luckily it's a hard winter squash and lasts just about forever.

As I have been cleaning out my pantry the past couple of months, I decided it was time to use up that squash.  It kept making me feel guilty every time I would open up the pantry door and see it there on the shelf. So I cooked it up with some of my favorite ingredients and it turned out fabulous.  The spaghetti squash seemed to cook a bit quicker than other winter squashes so this dish makes for a quick and healthy dinner that's pretty no-fuss.


Spinach, Tomato & Goat Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
serves 2-4

1 medium spaghetti squash
olive oil
about 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, diced
few slices of red onion
2-3 oz. goat cheese
2 Tbsp. pepitas
4 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
smoked paprika
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Split squash length-wise, scrape out seeds and place, cut side down, on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until squash starts to shred when a fork is scraped across it's flesh.

Flip squash over so cut side is now facing up.  Scrape through most of the squash with a fork creating shreds of squash but leaving it in the peel.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and a pinch of smoked paprika.  Over each half of squash crumble goat cheese, chopped spinach, tomatoes and some red onion.  Drizzle another  bit of olive oil over the top, sprinkle salt and pepper and more paprika, if desired.  Return to oven and bake another 10-15 minutes.

While squash is baking, toast pepitas with a pinch of salt in a small frying pan over medium heat until they start popping and turn golden brown in color. Set aside.

Once squash is done baking, remove from oven and top with fresh basil and toasted pepitas.  Serve warm.



SOURCE: Slightly adapted from BS' In The Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...