Thursday, November 29, 2012

Apple Cider Pancakes with Cider Glaze


So, I went to Vegas a few weeks ago and, of course, the first thing I do is look for all the foodie things to do!  One of my favorite stops was at Trader Joe's.  Any time anyone I know is traveling where there's a Trader Joe's, I make sure to have them stop for me.  Their pound plus chocolate bars are to die for!!!  I know they're great for melting and baking, but heck, they're fab for just eating too.

Anyway, while we were at TJ's they were handing out samples of their apple cider so my girls and I decided to try it.  I don't like juice in general, I just stick to water mainly, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I really, really liked it!!  I only bought one jug of it, should have bought more, but it came home with us and this is what the last of it turned into. 

I couldn't stay away from pancakes if my life depended on it.  They are so yummy and so versitile!  These days I try to stick with mostly whole wheat flour, little to no sugar and VERY little syrup. Even with that, these were absolutely delicious! 

Our Trader Joe's is opening up here this weekend and you better believe I'll be there.  You know what's going to be on my list!


Apple Cider Pancakes with Cider Glaze
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup apple cider
2 eggs
4 Tbsp. oil or butter (I used coconut oil, melted)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 honey crips apples, peeled and shredded
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
pinch cloves

In a mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, cider, eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and mix just to combine.  Fold in shredded apple.  Let batter sit while griddle heats up. 

Pour batter by 1/4 cup onto preheated griddle.  Cook until bubbles start to form and edges look dry; about 2-3 minutes.  Flip and cook on other side until light golden; about another 1-2 minutes.  Serve warm with cider glaze or topping of choice.


Cider Glaze
4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar

Whisk glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Serve immediately. 

*You can also use browned butter in place of regular melted butter.  To brown butter, gradually melt butter on medium-high heat.  Continue cooking until butter starts to get brown in color and smell nutty, swirling occasionally.  Allow to cool.


SOURCE: Adapted from Baking Serendipity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...