Monday, September 17, 2012

Split Pea Soup with Curried Brown Butter

So, just as I was hanging on to summer with my last post, I'm stepping into fall with this one!  I just love soups in the fall.  Not only are they a vehicle for an incredible amount of nutrition, they just warm you body and soul!

I know it's not technically fall yet and the weather is still reaching the mid 80's, so I take  chose the coolest day of the week last week (85 I think) to make this soup.  I was kind of holding my breath because I had no idea the kind of response I would get from my girls-it's green and kind of thick and maybe looks like something Shrek would eat (according to my kids anyway). Well, actually getting them to take the first bite was the hardest because they actually loved it! I was kind of in shock-not that it wasn't delish though, just that they ate it.

This is an absolutely delicious rendition of the simple split pea soup I ate as a child. Cooking the veggies in coconut oil really adds depth of flavor and gives it just a hint of coconut-divine!  You won't be sorry about the curried brown butter either-I mean who doesn't love brown butter? And the curry is the perfect spice for the peas.

I served the soup up with a sourdough baguette, but just about any other artisan loaf would be delicious as well.

Split Pea Soup
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, ghee, or extra-virgin coconut oil

1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

5 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 1/2 cups green lentils or green split peas, picked over and rinsed
 1/2 cup coconut milk

Curried Brown Butter
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 tablespoon curry powder


Combine the 2 tablespoons coconut oil, onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large soup pot over medium heat, stirring regularly, until the onions soften, a couple minutes. Add the vegetable broth and lentils and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender. This usually takes 20 to 30 minutes, but can take as long as 50 minutes.



In the meantime, warm the 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and let it brown. When it starts to smell nutty and fragrant, stir in the curry powder and sauté until the spices are fragrant, less than a minute.



When the lentils are finished cooking, remove from the heat, stir in the coconut milk and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and puree with an immersion blender. You can leave the soup a bit chunky if you like, or puree until it is perfectly smooth.

Stir in half of the curried butter, taste, and add more salt, if needed. Serve drizzled with the remaining curried butter.



SOURCE: Adapted from 101 Cookbooks, originally from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...