Friday, September 7, 2012

Peaches and Cream Steel Cut Oats


My friend introduced me to steel cut oats this year and I am forever in her debt! I love them as well as my family. We eat a lot of oatmeal anyway, but since we don't really buy boxed cereal, it's nice to have a variety of hot cereals to eat, especially with fall and cooler temps just around the corner.

One thing I love about steel cut oats is that although it does take longer than rolled oats to cook, you can cook it once, then eat it the rest of the week. I love to portion it out into little bowls with lids and pull a couple out each time we want to eat it. It's pretty perfect for those school mornings when you don't have 25 minutes to make breakfast; you can just pull it out of the fridge, warm it up and you're good to go.

I love to flavor my oats with fresh fruit. It add delicious flavor and extra nutrition to an already healthful breakfast. In this recipe, I have pureed the fresh peaches because my kids have a thing about chunky-things-in-food, but you could easily just chop and mix them in.


Peaches and Cream Steel Cut Oats
1 cup steel cut oats
3 1/4 cups water
pinch of salt
2-3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2-1 cup pureed fresh peaches
1 tsp. vanilla

Toppings (optional): diced peaches and walnuts

Bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in oats. Reduce heat to about medium and cook about 25 minutes or until desired tenderness, stirring every few minutes to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pan. After 25 minutes, remove oats from heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Return to heat for another minute or two. Serve warm or divide into smaller portions and refrigerate for later consumption.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your recipe. Exactly what I was looking for! and so yummy healthy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...