Saturday, October 16, 2010

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Apple Butter Muffins


Yummy, healthy, pumpkin; what more could a girl ask for? The first time I made these muffins my girls devoured them within days. I've been itching to make these again for a while but I turned a few too many zucchini into muffins at the end of the summer and I had to deplete my supply in the freezer before I could make more.

I'm not sure how many of these will get into the freezer, but I'm sure glad I got to make them again. I got this recipe from my friend Jamie. The original recipe was a whole wheat pumpkin muffin but I changed it a bit to add the apple butter. I used my own apple butter, it's pretty simple to make. If you don't have apple butter, you could use applesauce or all pumpkin and no applesauce.

These muffins are great warm out of the oven or probably any other way you could imagine. Spread it with some more apple butter or even this pumpkin butter that I'm dying to try but haven't yet.

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Apple Butter Muffins
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup yogurt (I used homemade that I strained to make Greek-style yogurt, but any vanilla or plain yogurt will work fine.)
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup pumpkin
1 cup apple butter
3 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix the wet ingredients together in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix only until just combined. Let batter sit for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400° F. Line 2 muffin pans with liners or spray with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cavities. Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This recipe linked to Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prarie Story and Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms.

10 comments:

  1. Pumpkin and apple butter..... you've made my mouth water! These look delicious, I can't wait to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never put apple butter in my muffins before, but I have a ton of the butter in my cabinet. Thanks for giving me an idea on how to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele I added the link for you to potluck sunday. Ty for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele I added the link for you to potluck sunday. Ty for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had my druthers, I'd have one of your muffins in each hand, one spread with apple butter and one spread with pumpkin butter and be taking bites of each one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so wonderful! I have some apple butter I forgot to use, I just need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, a great way to use up butters or even jams. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these look wonderful and healthy too!!

    I am hosting a pumpkin link up on my blog next monday, I hope you'll stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by and found your amazing muffins. They look so good!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look yummy! I just made some pumpkin applesauce whole wheat muffins and put it on my new food blog yesterday. There must be something in the air. I'm going to follow you. I look forward to seeing what else you make.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...