Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chocolate Rootbeer Bundt Cake


I'm still trying to get recipes up from our family 4th of July celebration. I was in charge of rolls and dessert. I must like to make things complicated because while one dessert would have sufficed, I made 3. Yes THREE! And guess who got to eat all the leftovers?

Anyway, I'm actually glad I got to eat these leftovers. I think this is my new favorite chocolate cake. I loved the genuine root beer flavor it had. Just plop a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and it tasted just like a root beer float. Really, it did.

Since I decided to use root beer flavoring, I decreased the amount of root beer in the original recipe and swapped it out for some sour cream. It was great because it made for an incredibly moist and dense cake; just like I like it. Hmm, maybe that's why me and brownies get along so well.

Oh, and let's not forget about the frosting. I love it. It's so creamy and very chocolaty-a chocolate lover's delight. This recipe does make quite a bit of frosting. I generously frosted the entire cake and still had about a cup leftover.

I will definitely be making this again and I will also be using it as my base chocolate cake and frosting recipe (minus the root beer flavoring). You should be able to swap out the remaining liquid with milk or buttermilk and have it turn out fine.

Chocolate Rootbeer Bundt Cake
1 cup root beer (not diet)
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. root beer flavored candy and baking oil

Preheat even to 325 degrees F. Spray the inside of a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, or butter generously and dust with flour, knocking out the excess.

In a small saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl whisk the eggs until just beaten. Then whisk into the cocoa mixture until combined.

Gently pour the cocoa mixture into the flour mixture, whisking as you pour, just to combine. Add sour cream and root beer oil and whisk until just combined.

Pour the batter into prepared pan and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely then loosen edges with a butter knife and turn out onto a cake plate.


Rootbeer Fudge Frosting
2 ounces 60% cocoa, melted
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
dash salt
1/4 cup root beer
1/4-1/2 tsp. root beer flavored cooking and baking oil
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric hand mixer, beat softened butter and cocoa powder. Once combined add the melted chocolate, salt, powdered sugar, root beer and root beer oil. Beat together until smooth. Spread on top of the cooled cake. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.


SOURCE: Adapted from Baked:New Frontiers in Baking

Linked to...
Sweets For A Saturday @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies

3 comments:

  1. the frosting is drawing me in..must resist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog. Love all the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...