Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Strawberry White Chip Scones


I love breakfast! I especially like it when it's fresh and either hot off the stove or hot out of the oven. Most mornings, I make me and the girls (Ben sleeps late because of his shift)eggs and toast, mush (cream of wheat or oatmeal), my favorite pancakes that I grew up eating, or my favorite pancakes that I discovered as an adult. If I get up early enough, or at least before my littlest one, I love to make muffins, scones, coffee cake, quickbread, or whatever. That seems to be way too rare lately though; the girls have had to PRY me out of bed in the morning the past few weeks! Maybe it's the post-holiday slump, or maybe just the post-flu slump that has left me exhausted for weeks it seems.

Anyway, I did manage to make these delicious scones the other day. When I saw strawberries on sale at the grocery store, I grabbed a couple knowing I could make these and my oldest daughter would devour the rest. And that she did.

I used several recipes to get the finished product I was looking for. Some used dried strawberries, others added walnuts. I decided to add white chips because the flavor combination seemed to go well together. Knowing that I was going to have these for breakfast, I only added just enough to get a taste but not overwhelm the scone with sweetness or heaviness. The scones turned out light and a little softer than traditional scones.

1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6 Tbsp. unsalted cold butter, diced
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg white
1 Tbsp. orange rind
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup strawberries
2 tsp. sugar

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a food processor, fitted with a blade attachment, add flours, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Pulse to combine. Add cold butter and mix until crumbly. Combine buttermilk, egg white and orange rind; add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Fold in white chips and strawberries.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With hands well floured, knead the dough four times. Pat into an 8-10” circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Place on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Calories per scone (1/12): 227

SOURCE:Adapted loosely from Annie's Eats

NOTES:If you do not have a food processor with a blade attachment, to cut in the butter to the dry ingredients, you could do one of two things. First, you could cut in the butter with either a pastry blender (hand-held), or use two knives, slicing back and forth. Second, you could melt the butter and it to the wet ingredients and follow the directions from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...