Saturday, January 16, 2010

Italian Meat Loaf with Basil and Provolone


Oh! Right now I am kicking myself for not keeping my basil plants going indoors this winter. I LOVE fresh basil, but if you try to buy "fresh" basil in the grocery store, it's not really that fresh, rather wilty, packaged in plastic and too expensive for a quick weeknight meal if you ask me. I miss my Logan Albertson's that had REAL fresh basil, packaged in bunches with big bright leaves and only cost a little over a buck.

Even though I had to substitute dried basil for fresh, this meatloaf is sure to knock your socks off; as much as meatloaf can. The ketchup adds a nice sweet flavor and the provolone, oh the provolone is so yummy and gooey. My kids even ate this and they can be picky sometimes. I made this a few years ago and don't remember it being this good. This will be sure to show up a little more on our monthly menu in the coming months. Serve with oven fries*.

1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup fresh basil, or 2-3 Tbsp. dried basil
1/2 (2 oz.) shredded provolone cheese
1 large egg
2 garlic cloves
1 lb. ground round
Cooking spray
1/3 cup ketchup

Finely chop tomatoes and set aside. Preheat oven to 350.

Combine chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup ketchup and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Press meat mixture into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup ketchup over meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.

6 Servings
Calories per serving: 294

*Oven Fries
Quarter 4 medium potatoes (I prefer reds) and slice about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Put them in a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle generously with seasoned salt. Toss to coat evenly. Spread them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

SOURCE:Adapted from Cooking Light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...