Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Cherry Chocolate Pancakes


I know, call me crazy, I have managed to get not one, but two posts up this crazy busy lovely summer! It is, however cherry season, and I just couldn't let it pass without paying homage to some of the summer's best.  We love fresh cherries so we try to get our fill when they are in season.  Otherwise, they're like $5 a pound!  Who pays that? (Ok, I'm sure some people do, and maybe I would under duress but, usually NOT!)

Not only do we love summer fruit when it comes on, we also LOVE pancakes!!  Hence the 29 different recipes on the blog.  Funny thing was I hadn't even planned on making these, let alone blog blog about them, until I had actually made them. It's been more than a year since my last pancake concoction, so I knew it was time for another one.

Cherries and chocolate are one of my favorite flavor combinations. I used to make this cake all the time, especially on my birthday and it's still a favorite to this day. These pancakes highlighted the fresh cherries perfectly and were wonderfully complimented by the dark chocolate (chocolate-duh!). The effort level for this recipe is still minimal; the only extra step is chopping the cherries and chocolate. So, you can still flip these out in a short amount of time and still enjoy your morning.


Cherry Chocolate Pancakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2  Tbsp. oil or melted butter
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted and roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/4 cup dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish

In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, buttermilk, egg, oil and almond extract.  Add flours, baking powder, soda and salt.  Whisk until just combined.  Gently fold in cherries and chocolate.  Let batter sit while griddle heats up.

Pour batter by 1/4 cup onto griddle.  Cook on one side until bubbles start to form and sides begin to look dry; about 2-3 minutes.  Flip pancakes and cook another minute or two on the other side.  Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve warm with butter, syrup and additional fresh cherries and chocolate, if desired.


more cherry chocolate love...
Double Cherry Chocolate Cookies 
Cherry Chocolate Scones
Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...