Sunday, July 13, 2014

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce


I can't believe it's been over a month since my last blog post! I kind of feel like a slacker but not really.  I'm not even kidding, this summer is flying by. We have been so busy but having a blast.

Lately I've been finding the quickest and easiest recipes I can find for dinner because I'm either too tired or too busy to do anything more. Enter this cauliflower alfredo.

Confession: I don't make a TON of things with cauliflower, or even very many things, and I rarely buy it and just eat it fresh. But, a huge  head of it showed up in my CSA basket a couple weeks ago and after eating on it for a few days, I refused to let the rest go bad.  Luckily this recipe was not only quick and easy to prepare but it tasted fabulous!  No one had any inkling that the base of the sauce was cauliflower because it was so CREAMY!


Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
1 lb. fettuccine noodles
5-6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 medium head)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
6 cups chicken (or veggie) stock
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
pinch of nutmeg

In a small skillet, melt butter and saute garlic about 60 seconds, making sure it doesn't burn. Set aside.

Add cauliflower and chicken stock to a large pot and bring to a boil.  Boil about 7-10 minutes or until very tender.  In the mean time start your pasta water and cook according to directions. Drain cauliflower, reserving a cup of the broth.  Put cauliflower in a blender with reserved broth, milk, cheese and the sauteed garlic and butter. Puree until smooth.  Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.  Finish it off with a pinch of nutmeg and serve over warm noodles.


SOURCE: Adapted from Pinch of Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...