Monday, July 8, 2013

Homemade Flour Tortillas


Oh, what a treasure these are!!!  I put off making my own tortillas for the longest time.  I'm not sure I can pinpoint the exact reason for it but I'm sure it had to do with the fact that I just didn't want to spend the time on it.  Well, come to find out, these don't take that much time at all to make and the flavor is FAR superior than anything you can buy at the store.

I try to make as much of our food from scratch as I can.  I know it takes a lot of time and effort but I think it's worth it.  I want to know EXACTLY what I am feeding my family.  If you're on that path and are feeling overwhelmed, I suggest you take one thing at a time, get good at it, then add another.  For me it was bread. I started making our bread about 5 years ago.  That was pretty much the only pantry staple I made for a long time.  Gradually I started making more and more and stopped buying boxed and pre-made items at the grocery store.  Now that I make our tortillas I can't imagine going back.  These are made with just white flour but whole wheat works great too, or even half and half.


Homemade Flour Tortillas
3 cups flour (unbleached, whole wheat or a combination)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup coconut oil (measure solid)
1 cup hot water

Add everything into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.  Mix on low for about 5 minutes.  Although the dough does not need to rise, it's good to let it sit for a bit to let it rest so that it is easier to roll out. 

Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.  Roll each into a ball and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.  Let rest at least 20 minutes, up to 2 hours.

Preheat griddle on hottest setting.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough, one ball at a time, to about 1/8-inch thickness, or as thin as you can get it. Place on hot griddle and cook for about 30-45 seconds, or until lightly golden.  Flip and cook another 30-45 seconds.  Place cooked tortillas on a large plate and continue until all the dough is rolled and cooked. Cover with a clean dish towel or tin foil to keep them warm. 

*Alternately you can cook them in a large skillet.  Preheat the skillet to medium high.  Cook your first tortilla and adjust time and temperature as necessary according to doneness.

Keep leftovers in an airtight container or sealed bag on the counter for up to a week, or in the freezer 3 to 4 months.

3 comments:

  1. I love making my own tortillas. There is just something about homemade tortillas that taste a million times better when you make it yourself. Thank you for sharing your recipe.


    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is gratifying isn't it? Hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  2. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...