Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Fudge


Healthy fudge....what! I've mentioned before how much I love coconut and what great health benefits it has. It also has great flavor to boot and when paired with chocolate, it's like a match made in heaven.

I created this fudge using coconut oil instead of butter and coconut milk instead of any kind of dairy milk or cream. I also used dark chocolate and about a fourth of the sugar used in regular fudge recipes. Don't you worry though, it's still plenty rich and sweet and incredibly creamy and smooth! My husband and I both agreed that this was the best fudge either of us had ever eaten (and believe me, I've had my fair share)....a million dollar recipe.....hmm, maybe!

Chocolate Coconut Fudge
16 oz. dark chocolate, chopped (or dark chips)
1/2 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup canned coconut milk, full-fat
3 1/3 cups mini marshmallows
5 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt

Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with coconut oil, or lightly spray with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper, if desired, leaving about 2 inches of overhang on each side for easy removal.

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine coconut milk, marshmallows, oil, sugar and salt. Stir until everything is melted and completely smooth. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Stir again until completely melted and smooth. Add flaked coconut and stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Allow to cool.

Fudge will be soft at room temperature. To aid in cutting, place fudge in the fridge until slightly firm. Cut into 1-inch squares and store either at room temperature or in the fridge. You can also wrap it up in wax paper and put it into a freezer safe zip-top bag and store it in the freezer. Serve at room temperature.


Linked to...
These Chicks Cooked @ This Chick Cooked

3 comments:

  1. I have questions...I've been looking at a few of the different coconut milk recipes thinking I need to give them a try, esp since my milk allergy kid loves chocolate!

    Would large marshmellows work and do you know if the measurement would be the same?

    I've struggled with my use of coconut oil, did you add it based on its solid or liquid measurement?

    Was the flaked coconut for additional flavor/texture, what would the result be if I leave it out?

    Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Large marshmallows will work just fine. I would probably either measure generously, like 4 cups or so, and cram them in there a little bit. Or, you could cut them into fourths to get a better measurement. All in all, it should turn out fine with a little more or a little less.

    I leave my coconut oil out at room temp so I just scrape it out of the jar. I'm sorry you've had trouble using it. Message me if you want about what and how you're using it and maybe I can help.

    And, yes, the coconut was added for both flavor and texture and you are free to leave it out. You will still have an incredibly smooth and delicious fudge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. made it today and it turned out great, my 5 year old loves it and asked me to make it every day! it's a little on the rich side but we don't have a lot of chocolate options so we'll enjoy rich chocolate fudge! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...