Friday, June 3, 2011

S'mores Ice Cream


I have a thing for s'mores. Especially during the summertime. I love roasting marshmallows over a camp fire then putting them atop a Hershey's bar to make it all melty, only to eat it sandwiched between a crumbly graham cracker. Yum!

I like to kind of slow roast my marshmallows so they get evenly toasty all around and get nice and poofy. I love that toasty flavor. That's why I decided, when making this ice cream, that I would try to simulate that same toasty marshmallow flavor in the ice cream base by putting the marshmallows under the broiler. The verdict: UH-mazing! The ice cream base really tastes like toasted marshmallows and the whole deal tastes like one big fat cold s'more! Now, what's not to love about that?

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this only makes about a pint of ice cream, but heaven sakes go ahead a double it if you're worried about it or have more than yourself to feed!

S'mores Ice Cream
Makes about a pint

1/2 package mini marshmallows
1 cup whole or 2% milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2-1.55 oz. bars Hershey’s Chocolate (they're usually the ones that come in a 6-pack)
3 graham crackers


Put milk and cream into a medium saucepan and warm over medium heat. Meanwhile spread marshmallows out on a cookie sheet and put under broiler for about 30-60 seconds. DO NOT take your eyes away or you'll have flaming marshmallows! Cool for a few seconds then immediately scrape into the saucepan with the milk and cream. Stir constantly until marshmallows are melted and incorporated.

Pour mixture (yes, the hot mixture) into ice cream maker that has been frozen according to manufacturer’s instructions, and churn for about 30-60 minutes. It may take longer than normal to get to the right consistency since the mixture is hot when you pour it in. Add ice and rock salt, if necessary to keep it cold enough.

While the ice cream is churning, break chocolate into chunks or pieces however you like. Break graham crackers into a little bit larger pieces.

After churning is completed, turn off ice cream maker and fold in chocolate and graham cracker pieces. Pour into freezer safe container and freeze until firm.

SOURCE: Adapted from Bonnie the Baker

Linked to...
Sweet Tooth Friday @ Alli n' Son
Sweets For A Saturday @ Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Sweet Indulgences Sunday @ A Well-Seasoned Life
Sweet Treats Thursday @ Something Swanky
Savory Sunday @ The Sweet Details
Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen
Mangia Mondays @ Delightfully Dowling

14 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds sooo perfect! I love s'mores too, but mostly the graham crackers and melt-y marshmallows. I cannot wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love S'mores, and to have it in ice cream form you got me. I am following your from Sweets for Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing so many delicious looking ice cream recipes like this, I've decided that I really need to invest in an ice cream maker. I love S'mores and can't wait to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a confession. I bought my ice cream maker for $13 at Target about 7 years ago! It was the end of the season and it was marked down on clearance. It's not professional by any means, nor top of the line, but it has worked beautifully and always churns out delicious ice cream. If you're looking for a good one, I've read many people love the one from Cuisinart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ice cream looks incredible and since there's no egg yolks in it, you know I'm gonna have to give this one a try. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT, GREAT idea!! I LOVE smores. And I love the whole smores trend, I can't get enough of the desserts that keep popping up! And this is one of my faves by far! I'd love for you to link up to my sweet treats party today! Hope to see you there :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ice cream looks so wonderful and I adore s'mores! Thank you for checking out my blog CookLisaCook.blogspot.com and for your comment. I'm looking forward to sitting down and reading through more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad I stumbled on your blog from Savory Sunday! I keep scrolling down more & more and finding so much awesome stuff! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found something you liked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh! this looks absolutely amazing! I made something to do with s'mores yesterday. I am on a kick and I have got to try this! I found your blog through a link party and I LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would come check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got an ice cream maker and I am excited to try out some new recipes. Your ice cream sounds irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just adore homemade ice cream. Is there anything better?

    Thank you so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wanted to stop by & let you know that i've featured this recipe on my 5 favorites friday!

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com/2011/06/5-favorites-friday-on-saturday.html

    -kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this a couple weeks ago and just posted it today. It was delish, although I had to do a few things differently to get the right consistency. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...